Sunday, June 27, 2010

Hey Announcers: Call the Damn Game

I am very well aware that baseball is a slow sport. At times, it is agonizingly slow. So sometimes, announcers have to talk about something else so they aren't stuck saying nothing. I understand that. These days, however, I feel it's going too far. Right now, I'm watching the Yankees-Dodgers game on ESPN. It's the top of the third inning, a man on second, Jeter is at the plate, looking to get his team on the scoreboard in what is currently a scoreless affair. So what are John Miller, Joe Morgan, and Orel Hershiser talking about? Whether Stephen Strasburg should pitch in the All Star Game. Throughout the entire inning. And in the opening of the inning, they were talking about Joe Torre's job security...even after Brett Gardner was hit by a pitch. And an inning before, they spent most of the time talking about the latest injuries to the Boston Red Sox. Are these announcers, or are these just a bunch of guys talking about baseball in their living room? (Over paid guys, at that).

Of course, ESPN is not the only network guilty of this. YES does it a lot, Fox is almost absurd in the way they do it, and many, many other stations do it as well. The only person I know of who doesn't do it all that often is the great Dodger's announcer Vin Scully. Watching games these days really makes me wish he did every game I saw. Because it's getting to the point where I'm having to mute the games a lot because these guys just are giving me no information about the game...you know, the game they are supposed to call.

No comments:

Post a Comment